Sunday, May 23, 2010

Crossing Paths - Self Confidence

Sitting on the train as I headed to work, I did something I don't usually do - I watched the people getting on the train as it pulled into one particular stop. I wasn't looking for anyone, I guess it was just that I was taking a break from reading. I'm not a people watcher, but a young man getting on the train caught my eye. He was extremely well-dressed, and his suit, from what I could see, appeared to be tailored to fit. Good shoes, great satchel, well groomed, and he stepped onto the train and began walking down the aisle with a very self-confident stride. As he approached my aisle I looked up at him and we smiled. I've been told I have a friendly, or approachable smile, and I appreciate that because he asked, 'Is this seat taken?' I thought briefly of Forrest Gump and shook my head. 'It's yours,' I smiled and he sat down.

I complimented him on his suit and he immediately launched into conversation - he was headed for his 3rd job interview with a global company, had just received his MBA and felt great about the possibilities. My human resource instincts immediately kicked in, and I started to offer him some tips on what to say and not to say or do during his 3rd, and what would probably be his final interview in offering him the position. His demeanor was very sure, confident, but not arrogant. He was right at that fine line that possesses just a hair of humbleness, but enough confidence to ensure his place.

I mentioned how challenging and dismal the job market was and he seemed surprised and shook his head. He said, 'the job market isn't that bad. You just have to know where to look, be persistent and keep your head up.'

His words surprised me. I immediately became his silent cheerleader, and said a prayer asking God to allow the young man to do well enough on his job interview to secure the position he sought.

We talked for about an hour, and when we reached my train exit, he asked for my name and number; he wanted to call and tell me later in the week if he got the job. The next day I lost my cell phone on the train, and because it usually takes 1-2 weeks for lost items to reach the train's lost and found department, I had the phone shut off.

That young man and I may probably never cross paths again, but he taught me a lesson in confidence. I learned that even with today's economy, there are unemployed people out there that feel so good about themselves, that they continue to smile and be confident in the face of pessimism and discouraging numbers. I pray for more smiles, more confidence and positive attitudes for those in these troubled times who feel they want to give up, and for those who refuse to believe that beyond the dark clouds is the dawn of a brand new day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Heavenly Birthday to my Mom

  My mother’s birthday is today - November 22.    She died in February of this year and didn’t reach the age of 83.    Her birthday always s...